Meet Birdie! An avid fern collector, she moved to Whidbey Island and opened a ‘living gallery’ of mounted specimens. Even though the admission fee is pretty low, there’s not a lot of traffic for the Fern Lady. So Birdie spends most of her days bingeing old seasons of Portlandia and reciting favorite lines to her ferny friends. Her ‘fronds,’ if you will… Favorite line? “Put a bird on it,” obviously!
We recommend planting this plug in our Aroid potting soil.
THIS PLANT SHIPS AS A 2″ FULLY ROOTED STARTER PLANT, AS SHOWN IN THE SECOND PHOTO. It will come wrapped in moss and tucked in a growers pot for safety. The terra cotta pot with the mature plant, shown in the first photo, is not included.
We root certain plants in sphagnum moss for greatest shipping success. When you go to repot your plant, carefully remove the growers pot and gently tease open the sphagnum and roots. If some sphagnum falls off, no worries! It can be discarded or added to your potting medium. If some stays attached to the roots, just let it be. Your roots will grow happily around it. We advise that you don’t overly mess with the roots, they don’t need to be picked clean. Questions? Message us!
- Grows most vigorously in a bright, warm area (direct sun can cause leaf burn).
- Likes regular water, somewhat drought tolerant, never let the bottom of the pot sit in water! If leaves are turning yellow and falling off, it's likely over-watered.
- Wipe leaves with a damp cloth when they become dusty.
- Toxic to pets and people.
- Skill Level: Intermediate