Maverick, the Thaumatophyllum spruceanum
Meet Maverick! Formerly classified as a philodendron, he said heck no pardner, don’t put that brand on me! ‘I declare I am a thaumatophyllum and if you can’t pronounce it, not my concern.’ A true maverick, he’s a visionary who wants to achieve what’s never been achieved before. And so with each passing day, he strives to produce the most incredible spiral of leaflets ever seen! Stubborn and determined, he gets it done.
We recommend planting this plug in our regular potting soil.
This plant ships as a 2″ fully rooted starter plant, as shown in the second photo. It will come wrapped in moss and tucked in a growers pot for safety. The terra cotta pot with the mature plant, shown in the first photo, is not included.
If you order multiple plants, we put them together in one pot so they stay moist and insulated. If you think we haven’t sent the full order, please take out the plants from the pot first to count them.
- Previously called Philodendron goeldii.
- Star shaped leaves that split and multiply into leaflets as the plant matures, eventually spiraling around the petiole.
- Prefers bright light and no over-watering! Let the top of the soil dry between waterings.
- Reclassified as a tree philodendron (non-climbing type), it will shed lower leaves and the thick woody stem becomes trunk-like.
- Wipe leaves with a damp cloth when they become dusty.
- All parts of the plant are toxic to people and pets.
- Skill Level: Beginner