Ficus ‘Tineke,’ Variegated Rubber Tree
Meet Rhys. During holidays from his Connecticut prep school, he can be found in Nantucket or staying with Grandmother on the Vineyard. His summer uniform is always the same… He wears mocs and beige trousers and pastel-colored polo shirts. Sure he pops his collar, eschews “mall stores” for Ralph Lauren, and over-gels his hair. But give the kid a break, he’ll grow up someday and find himself living in Berlin with a manbun, drinking craft beer and reminiscing about his Lacrosse days.
We recommend planting this plug in our regular potting soil.
THIS PLANT SHIPS AS A 1″ FULLY ROOTED STARTER PLANT, AS SHOWN IN THE SECOND PHOTO. It will come wrapped in moss and tucked in a growers pot for safety. The terra cotta pot with the mature plant, shown in the first photo, is not included. If you order multiple plants, we put them together in one pot so they stay moist and insulated. If you think we haven’t sent the full order, please take out the plants from the pot first to count them.
- Grows most vigorously in a bright, warm area (direct sun can cause leaf burn). Bright light will encourage the most variegation.
- Likes regular water, somewhat drought tolerant, never let the bottom of the pot sit in water! If leaves are turning yellow and falling off, it's likely over-watered.
- Wipe leaves with a damp cloth when they become dusty.
- Mildly toxic. The sap can cause skin irritation and rash.
- Skill Level: Intermediate