We recommend planting this plug in our Epiphyte soil.
THIS PLANT SHIPS AS A 1″ FULLY ROOTED STARTER PLANT, AS SHOWN IN THE SECOND PHOTO. It will come wrapped in moss and tucked in a growers pot for safety. The terra cotta pot with the mature plant, shown in the first photo, is not included. If you order multiple plants, we put them together in one pot so they stay moist and insulated. If you think we haven’t sent the full order, please take out the plants from the pot first to count them.
- Codonanthe plant has a special relationship with ants and is often found growing epiphytically in ant nests in the more Southern Americas. The ants are attracted to the sugars produced at the base of the sepals and bring seeds back to the nest where they germinate. The epiphytic codonanthe plant's roots help hold the ant nest together. Symbiosis!
- Codonanthe is a rare houseplant in the African violet family.
- Grow codonanthe in a bright spot, but protected from too much direct sun.
- Water when the top inch or so of the soil is dry.
- Generally non-toxic.
- Skill Level: Intermediate