Alastair, the Philodendron ‘Black Cardinal’
Meet Alastair. He has an extensive collection of Architectural Digest back issues and did we mention he’s currently renovating a 13th century castle? We won’t say which one, but we can hint that he has a direct line to the Romanian Office of Historical Preservation Permits. Alastair would love to source some quality oak pegs to finish dowelling the arch-beam roof of the caretaker’s cottage, if you happen to know anyone. Oh, and gloomy tapestries. Definitely on the list.
We recommend planting this plug in our regular potting soil.
This plant ships as a 2″ fully rooted starter plant, as shown in the second photo. It will come wrapped in moss and tucked in a growers pot for safety. The terra cotta pot with the mature plant, shown in the first photo, is not included.
If you order multiple plants, we put them together in one pot so they stay moist and insulated. If you think we haven’t sent the full order, please take out the plants from the pot first to count them.
- Grows most vigorously in a bright, warm area (direct sun can cause leaf burn).
- Likes regular water, somewhat drought tolerant, never let the bottom of the pot sit in water! If leaves are turning yellow and falling off, it’s likely over-watered.
- Wipe leaves with a damp cloth when they become dusty.
- Toxic to pets and people.
- Skill Level: Intermediate