Be proactive in your weed-control plan this year! It’s much easier to stop weeds from germinating than wrestling dandelions and crabgrass out of your lawn all summer.
Pre-emergents that contain corn gluten meal, an organic alternative to chemically derived herbicides, suffocate and suppress weed seeds. A good rule of thumb is to apply your pre-emergent when you notice buds on trees and shrubs greening up, daffodils starting to bloom, or the soil temperature rises above 50 degrees. In northern Colorado this is typically late March. Pre-emergents do not work on existing weeds, you must apply it before the new weeds sprout. Because corn meal gluten cannot differentiate between wanted and unwanted seeds, use it in early spring so that it has time to break down before planting your veggie seeds or reseeding areas of lawn!
Espoma Organic Weed Preventer and Lawn Food
- Made from 100% pure corn gluten meal
- Prevents dandelions, crabgrass and other common weeds
- Provides long lasting greening that won’t burn
- Children and pets can play on lawn immediately after application
Weed prevention in lawns: 20 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. covers up to 1,250 sq. ft.
Feeding lawns: 10 lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft. covers up to 2,500 sq. ft.
Bonide “Maize” Weed Preventer RTS*
*Ready To Spray
- Corn Gluten, contains natural ingredients and prevents weeds from growing
- Convenient liquid formulation
- People and pet safe when used as directed
- Works on annual and perennial weeds
- Works on grassy and broadleaf weeds
- Works in lawns, around trees, shrubs, ornamentals, flowers and even vegetable gardens
1 Qt. treats 1000 sq. ft.
Preen Garden Weed Preventer
- Stops weeds from germinating in flower and vegetable gardens, in ground covers and around trees and shrubs
- Stays in soil approximately 8 – 12 weeks per application
- Active ingredient: 1.47% Trifluralin (Treflan)
18 lbs covers 5000 sq. ft.