Houseplant Highlight: Christmas Cactus
Posted on November 1, 2019 at 3:40 pm by Gulley Greenhouse and Garden Center / Houseplants, Plants / 0
Christmas Cactus (Schlumbergera genus)
- Named “Christmas Cactus” because of its habit of blooming during the winter holiday season.
- Called a cactus but is actually an epiphyte originating in Brazil. Epiphytes grow in/on trees and prefer humidity and filtered bright light.
- Christmas cacti don’t like drafts and can drop their buds before opening if exposed to extreme temperature fluctuations.
- Avoid overwatering as this invites root rot and pests.
- Unlike poinsettias, christmas cacti aren’t poisonous and so they make a great holiday decoration to have around pets and children!